From Africa to Cape May, it is World Lion Day! Swing by the Cape May County Zoo, winner of the 2015 Excellence Award and visit the two Lions who call Cape May County home, Lex and Bella.
Born in 2011, siblings, Lex and Bella came to the Zoo in 2014 from Jacksonville, NJ. Their main keeper enjoys working with the two and compares them to big dogs.
Below we’ve put together some facts about Lions to celebrate the day!
– A Lion’s Roar is the loudest of any cat and can be heard from 6 miles away.
– Lions are the only social exotic cat that lives in groups called prides; all other cats prefer a solitary life.
– Lions are generally found in savannas, grasslands, dense bush and woodlands.
– Females do 85 to 90 percent of the hunting, males patrol the territory and protect the pride.
– Lions can go four to five days without drinking water.
Stop by today and maybe you will be lucky enough to hear a Lion’s roar!