Know the rules of the road! By order of NJ Statute Title 39 Traffic Regulation, bicyclists must:
- Ride on the right hand side with traffic, not against it.
- Wear a helmet up to age 17.
- Use a light at night.
- Ride single file in traffic.
- Stop at the sidewalk when exiting an alley.
- Not use a cell phone while riding.
- Obey red lights and stop signs.
- Not ride on the sidewalk, unless under age 11.
Other bicycle safety tips:
- Use proper hand signals.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Lock your bike if you stop to beach, eat or shop.
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Ride predictably and stay visible.
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Parents should ride with children, and keep children on the inside away from traffic.