Today is National Oyster Day! With so many great restaurants in our area to enjoy the delicious bivalve molluscs, we have put together some fun facts about oysters that you may not know.
1. Every year nearly two billion pounds of oysters are eaten.
2. Although edible oysters can produce pearls, it’s actually a different family of bivalves, called pearl oysters that create the jewelry-quality gems.
3. The largest oyster-producing waters in the United States are in the Chesapeake Bay.
4. There are over 100 varieties of oysters.
5. East Coast Oysters are smaller, milder in flavor and salty. West Coast Oysters are creamy and sweet.
6. It’s a myth that oysters are supposed to slide down your throat without chomping into them first.
7. Each oyster filters about 30 to 50 gallons of water – a day!
Check out the Dining Section for a full list of restaurants to celebrate! Happy Eating!