During the 2014 calendar and fiscal year, the City of Cape May is sponsoring and/or producing an extensive schedule of major performing arts events that will be presented at Convention Hall. The majority of these concerts and performances will be held from Memorial Day Weekend through the December holiday season.
Based upon very positive feedback and constructive input from loyal regional patrons during the past two years, the City has created a diversified array of international, national, and emerging entertainers who will provide high quality cultural and artistic performances while generating excitement and enjoyment for the audiences.
As the City of Cape May implements its long-term Sustainability Plan, the new Convention Hall facility represents a vital economic development initiative that will expand Cape May’s economy to a 10.5 month season and secure Cape May’s niche as a premier tourist destination for all four seasons. As a multi-purpose venue, this state-of-the-art Convention Hall has already demonstrated the capability and flexibility to host high quality performing arts events while exhibiting Cape May’s commitment to supporting world-class arts and cultural programs.
Therefore, the City will present six prominent and diversified performing arts events that will highlight and provide continuity from the late Spring through the Christmas holidays.
1. For the third consecutive year, PETER NERO AND THE PHILLY POPS will christen the peak Summer season with a concert gala on Memorial Day Weekend. Two-time Grammy Award- winning pianist Peter Nero is the founding music director and, for over three decades, served as the conductor of the internationally-acclaimed Peter Nero and the Philly POPS. This 2014 Cape May concert is one of only two performances annually in which Peter leads the orchestra. He blends classical, swing, Broadway, blues, and jazz while maintaining virtuosity and authenticity as he both conducts and plays his Steinway piano with creativity.
2. THE SAVOY COMPANY PRESENTS GILBERT AND SULLIVAN’S “THE SORCERER” AND “TRIAL BY JURY” in a special Cape May performance on Independence Day Weekend in July. In its 114th year, the Savoy Company is undertaking its 13th production of “Trial by Jury” and its 9th production of “The Sorcerer” by following the original traditions in its presentation of these two Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. This performance will mark the Savoy Company’s first return to Cape May in over two decades and will be the Company’s only appearance in the State of New Jersey during 2014. This presentation of “The Sorcerer” will be performed in approximately 90 minutes and will be followed by a 20 minute intermission before the 35 minute presentation of “Trial by Jury” closes out the evening on a high note.
3. AN EVENING AT THE CAPE MAY SUMMER CLUB FEATURING CAPE MAY’S OWN JEFF COON is a swinging evening of singing, dancing, and fantastic fun. Come fly with us back to an era when life was cooler and music was snappier. Jeff Coon is a graduate of Lower Cape May Regional High School who has already achieved a twenty-year career as a professional stage actor with rave national reviews. During July and August, Jeff will present three variations of this cabaret- style production which features some of his most talented and entertaining friends from Philadelphia and New York along with an incredible live band.
4. PHILADELPHIA GERMAN BRASS BAND was founded in 1935 and is dedicated to upholding the tradition and encouraging the continued development of authentic German, Eastern European, and American brass band music. This first-time visit to Cape May by the Philadelphia German Brass Band will occur on Columbus Day Weekend and the Band will entertain our residents and visitors with a symphony of musical instrumentalists as well as talented vocalists.
5. RUBYLEE PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS BROADWAY AND BEYOND offers the Cape May audience the special opportunity in mid-November to enjoy Kimilee Bryant and her colleagues from the Broadway and worldwide operatic stages to perform Broadway revues as well as classical and pop performances. Kimilee and her talented friends have performed in such Broadway shows as The Phantom of the Opera, Evita, Jekyll and Hyde, Anything Goes, Dreamgirls, Porgy and Bess, Cats, Les Miserables, and many more! The content of this program will consist of a different array of musical selections and some different vocalists than the Rubylee Production in the 2014 Summer Concert Series.
6. POPERAZZI HOLIDAY CONCERT represents the City of Cape May’s annual seasonal extravaganza to celebrate the holidays in mid-December. These three young, sexy, and versatile entertainers perform opera with a twist. You can expect everything from rock to opera and classic Frank Sinatra tunes to the Rolling Stones as Poperazzi mixes years of musical tradition in a contemporary format during their fast-paced show. Individually and collectively, Poperazzi has travelled the globe and is looking forward to interacting with the Cape May audience during a musical program that encompasses the tunes and songs that highlight the holiday season. As a special treat during this concert, the Wildwood Catholic High School singers will be collaborating with Poperazzi in the choral performance of some of the most notable Christmas music. The content of this program will consist of a different array of musical selections than the Poperazzi show in the 2014 Summer Concert Series.
2014 CITY OF CAPE MAY SUMMER CONCERT SERIES
The ever-popular Summer Concert Series will enter its third season in the Summer of 2014 with a star- studded array of world-renowned performing artists and groups who will energize you with their talented skills while entertaining so thoroughly that you will forget about your worldly troubles for the evening.
The Summer Concert Series will continue to be presented on Monday evenings with eight individual concerts starting on June 30th and ending on August 18th. Each concert will begin promptly at 8:00 pm. Based upon artist preference and the content of the performance, most shows will have a total performance time of 90 minutes, with some concerts running continuously while others will be punctuated with a 15-20 intermission
The line-up for the 2014 Summer Concert Series in chronological order is as follows:
1. THE HIT MEN featuring the former stars of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons will lead off the Summer Concert Series by reliving the glory days of rock and roll. You loved Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, Tommy James and the Shondells, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, Elton John, and Jim Croce. This concert is an amazing look back through rock and roll history presented by former members of these mega-star acts performing your favorite songs. As an added feature, The Hit Men will regale you with lots of great stories about what it was like on the road and in the recording sessions with these mega-stars.
2. Grammy Award-winning artist MELISSA MANCHESTER will display her well-rounded talents as a compelling singer/songwriter, stage and screen actress, and world-acclaimed entertainer as she performs her favorite and most acclaimed musical selections which have marked her brilliant professional career in the performing arts. The Cape May audience will be in for a real treat as Melissa demonstrates the unbelievable and wide-ranging breadth and scope of her musical accomplishments. Currently, Melissa is co-writing the new musical “The Sweet Potato Queens”. In addition, Melissa is recording her 20th album, “You Gotta Love That Life”, which is a sonic journey that includes her unique re-visioning of some of the greatest classics from the American songbook that influenced her musical palette as well as several brand new songs that offer the artist’s unique perspective and lush voice.
3. DEANA MARTIN has firmly established herself as an internationally renowned recording artist, television and film star, actress, author, and radio host in the tradition of her legendary father Dean Martin. During her concert, Deana takes the audience on a musical journey, honoring Dean Martin and other great performers who shaped American music and popular culture for over four decades. Deana actually sings the sound track of our lives. The show is a combination of musical treasures intertwined with personal reflections and private recollections from Deana who grew up having a family-like relationship with Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Judy Garland, and many others.
4. RUBYLEE PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS BROADWAY AT THE BEACH offers the Cape May audience the special opportunity to enjoy Kimilee Bryant and her colleagues from the Broadway and worldwide operatic stages to perform Broadway revues as well as classical and pop performances. Kimilee and her talented friends have performed in such Broadway shows as The Phantom of the Opera, Evita, Jekyll and Hyde, Anything Goes, Dreamgirls, Porgy and Bess, Cats, Les Miserables, and many more!
5. Since their formation, THE GRASS ROOTS have produced 14 Billboard Top 40 Hits which has lead to this quartet being one of the most recognized groups on the “Classic Rock” radio stations for several decades. In the entire history of Rock n’ Roll, only 9 bands (including The Beatles) have charted more hits on Billboard’s Hot 100 than The Grass Roots. Over the years, The Grass Roots have exhibited a depth of song writing ability which has resulted in well crafted rock tune. The Cape May patrons will really enjoy their evening with this dynamic group who are known for such great hits as “Midnight Confessions”, “Temptation Eyes”, and “Feelings”.
6. POPERAZZI represents a newer creative trio composed of three young, sexy, and versatile entertainers performing opera with a twist. You can everything from rock to opera and classic Frank Sinatra tunes to the Rolling Stones as Poperazzi mixes years of musical tradition in a contemporary format during their fast-paced show. Individually and collectively, Poperazzi has travelled the globe and is looking forward to interacting with the Cape May audience in Convention Hall’s intimate setting.
7. RITA COOUDGE electrifies audiences with her voice as pure, sweet, and powerful as ever and her ability to get inside a song honed by experience and overview. Rita relishes the fact that her music is really impossible to categorize since she exudes spirit which is that deep, emotional quality heard only in the music of artists who have nothing left to prove. Her singing has become a reflection of celebration since she is to the point where she is really happy with her life, and knows where she is and who she is. Among her significant professional accomplishments, Rita is well recognized for her “Love Came For Me” on the soundtrack of the movie Splash, “All Time High” as the theme for the James Bond thriller Octopussy, and also “Heart Don’t Fail Me Now” (with Lee Greenwood) as the recurring theme for the CBS daytime drama As The World Turns.
8. THE KINGSTON TRIO is one of the few groups today that has survived the many changes in the world of music. They have remained consistent in their sound, which probably explains their resurgence in popularity over the last few years. Using only acoustic guitars and banjos, and singing simple yet memorable melodies, The Kingston Trio revolutionized popular music, reawakening America to its own rich folk music heritage. The Kingston Trio’s trademark three- part harmony and clean, crisp sound results in an increasing number of new fans, both young and old. Their fans just want them to sing a song, tell a story, and make it good. Truly, that is the secret to their success and the major reason for their longevity as a successful musical group.
2014 CITY OF CAPE MAY SUMMER CONCERT SERIES AT CONVENTION HALL 4-PACK OPTIONS
A. The EARLY SUMMER CONCERT SERIES 4-PACK contains The Hit Men on June 30, Melissa Manchester on July 7, and Deana Martin on July 14. Included in this package is a FREE ticket to the Philadelphia Boys Choir & Chorale on August 23. This represents a 14% savings!
B. The JULY SUMMER CONCERT SERIES 4-PACK contains Deana Martin on July 14, Rubylee Productions Presents Broadway at the Beach on July 21, and The Grass Roots on July 28. Included in this package is a FREE ticket to the Philadelphia Boys Choir & Chorale on August 23. This represents a 14% savings!
C. The MID-SUMMER CONCERT SERIES 4-PACK contains Rubylee Productions Presents Broadway at the Beach on July 21, The Grass Roots on July 28 and Poperazzi on August 4. Included in this package is a FREE ticket to the Philadelphia Boys Choir & Chorale on August 23. This represents a 14% savings!
D. The LATE SUMMER CONCERT SERIES 4-PACK contains Poperazzi on August 4, Rita Coolidge on August 11, and The Kingston Trio on August 18. Included in this package is a FREE ticket to the Philadelphia Boys Choir & Chorale on August 23. This represents a 14% savings!
The LOYALTY SUMMER CONCERT SERIES PLAN contains all NINE concerts. All concerts will be held on Monday nights starting on June 30 and ending on August 18. When purchasing all nine concerts, patrons will automatically receive a $39 DISCOUNT PLUS a FREE ticket to the Philadelphia Boys Choir & Chorale concert on Saturday, August 23. This represents an 18% savings.
Tickets for the Peter Nero and the Philly Pops concert as well as the seasonal, 4-Pack, and individual concert tickets for the nine events in the Summer Concert Series are going on sale to the general public on Monday, March 31 at 10:00 a.m.
The Box Office at Convention Hall is open for business from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm seven days a week. For further information regarding tickets, please call the Box Office at (609) 884-9563 or visit DiscoverCapeMay.com which is the City of Cape May’s destination website. This particular website permits you to purchase tickets on-line through the Seat Advisor Box Office which also allows you to select your preferred seats for the concerts/shows.