Dean Yeager, winner of the 2014 Watermelon Eating Contest.
On Tuesday, August 16 from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m., The Reeds at Shelter Haven will host their fifth-annual Reeds & Seeds Watermelon Festival at their wildly popular outdoor restaurant, Water Star Grille. First hosted by the hotel’s predecessor, the Shelter Haven Hotel, more than a century ago, Reeds & Seeds has long been a beloved Stone Harbor tradition. Locals and visitors alike gather to snack on the quintessential summer food – watermelon – and watch (or join in!) the watermelon-eating contest and other fun, food-focused entertainment. The event is free and open to the public.
The signature event of Reeds & Seeds is the Watermelon Eating Contest. Guests of all ages are invited to participate in a series of heats:
• 10:30 a.m. – 3 to 5 years
• 11 a.m. – 6 to 8 years
• 11:30 a.m. – 9 to 12 years
• 12:15 p.m. – 13 to 17 years
• 12:30 p.m. – Parents and Finals
Prizes include gift cards for Buckets, The Reeds’ playful indoor-outdoor beach bar and restaurant.
Guests will also witness the crowning of the Reeds & Seeds King and Queen, honoring the boy and girl who most creatively answers: “Why would I like to be The Reeds King or Queen?” All children are invited to enter; speeches will begin at 11:45 a.m.
Additional, family-friendly entertainment will include:
• Games, such as Watermelon Pong, Ring Toss, Floating Ducks and Watermelon Bowling, with fun prizes
• Watermelon snacks and drinks
• Watermelon crafts and carvings
• Face painting
• Family-friendly live music
• For those who can’t get enough, Water Star Grille will feature watermelon cocktails and their popular Watermelon and Feta Salad from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Reeds & Seeds will take place rain or shine.