“The Little Mermaid” was hit during the 2017 Broadway Series for the Ocean City Pops and Ocean City Theatre Company.
The 2018 Ocean City Theatre Company Summer Children’s Theater Series will include five musicals on the Ocean City Music Pier, and tickets are on sale now.
The lineup includes:
• Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka (TYA): 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 3 and 10:30 a.m. Friday, July 6 (based on the book “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” by Roald Dahl)
• Junie B. Jones the Musical: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 10 (based on the book series by Barbara Park)
• The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 17 (based on the book by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith)
• Sleeping Beauty: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 24, 2018 (Can friendship and loyalty overcome even the strongest dark magic?)
• Miss Nelson Is Missing: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 31 (winner of the 2003 National Children’s Theatre Festival Award, Best New Musical)
Tickets are also on sale for the Summer Broadway Series at the Bill and Nancy Hughes Performing Arts Center on the beach block of Sixth Street. This series includes “A Chorus Line” and “Beauty and the Beast,” and both shows feature the Ocean City Pops Orchestra working with the Ocean City Theatre Company.
“A Chorus Line” is a stunning concept musical capturing the spirit and tension of a Broadway chorus audition. Exploring the inner lives and poignant ambitions of professional Broadway gypsies, the show features one powerhouse number after another. Memorable musical numbers include “What I Did for Love, “One,” “I Can Do That,” “At the Ballet,” “The Music and the Mirror” and “I Hope I Get It.” The show contains mature/adult content. Show times are 7:30 p.m. July 10, 11, 12 and 13. There will be a matinee at 2 p.m. July 12.
“Beauty and the Beast” is based on the Academy Award-winning animated feature. The stage version includes all of the wonderful songs written by Alan Menken and the late Howard Ashman, along with new songs by Mr. Menken and Tim Rice. The original Broadway production ran for more than 13 years and was nominated for nine Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Show times are 7:30 p.m. Aug. 7, 8, 9 and 10. There will be a matinee at 2 p.m. Aug. 9.
All advance tickets for the Children’s Series are $10 in advance. Tickets for the Broadway Series are $25 and $30. They are now on sale at oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, by calling (609) 399-6111, and at City Hall (861 Asbury Ave.) or the Roy Gillian Welcome Center on the Route 52 causeway. Call (609) 525-9284 to inquire about group rates.