The Ocean City Beach Patrol will host its Women’s Lifeguard Invitational at 6:15 p.m. Thursday, July 22 at 34th Street Beach.
The top female athletes from 15 to 18 beach patrols on the Jersey Shore will compete in the annual event.
The five events in the competition include:
· Row/Swim: Two competitors row out to a flag as a doubles crew. One swims back.
· Paddleboard: Individual paddlers race in an M-shaped course.
· Swim: Individual swimmers race in a box-shaped course.
· Medley Relay: A swimmer using fins races to a flag and dips it to signal the start for a paddleboarder, who then races to the flag and back to the beach. The final leg of the relay is doubles rowing crew racing to the flag and back.
· Surf Dash: Relay teams of four race to markers placed in the surf.
The event is free to watch, and spectators are encouraged to cheer on their hometown patrols.