Naval Air Station Wildwood (NASW) Aviation Museum is excited to release its full calendar of events for 2023. This year will be the museum’s busiest to date. The museum will be hosting several of its own events as well as a few outside events for other nonprofits that are open to the public. Make sure to mark your calendars, you will not want to miss them! Events include:
· Free Lecture – May 11 at 7 p.m. – “The First Team” State of US Naval Aviation at the Start of WWII by Naval Aviation Historian Jim Krombach
· Free Lecture – May 18 at 6 p.m. – “U.S. Military Commands and Aircraft on the island of Oahu Hawaii: December 7, 1941” by Louis Bontya III
· Free Lecture – June 1 at 7 p.m. – “Southern New Jersey: Pulling Together during WWII” by Marston A. Mischlich PhD and Gail Mischlich
· Coffee and Cars – May 21 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.– Check out all kinds of different new and old cars.
· “Heroes” Art Exhibit – May 26 to 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.– A homage to Military Heroes from Cape May and Abroad
· Wings & Things – June 24 to 25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Arts and Craft Festival featuring a swing band and dance instructor (6/24), Art Classes, 1920 Model A cars, Face Painting, Arts and Craft vendors, exhibitors, food trucks, and more.
· Jeepers Back the Blue Jeep Invasion Kickoff Party – July 14 from 7 to 10 p.m. – Jeeps, food, drinks, music, and raffles. $10 donation per person. Receive 2 raffle tickets with entry! For more info jeepersbacktheblue.org
· Christmas in July – July 25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m – Opportunity for photos with Santa Clause, Live Music, Face Painting, and explore a festive Historic Hangar #1.
· AirFest – September 1 to 4 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – The museum’s largest annual fundraiser which showcases historic aircraft flown in for display, Women in History Reenactor Presentation Series, Live Music, Classic Cars, Face Painting, Caricatures, Vendors, Exhibitors, Food and Beer, and more.
· 10th Anniversary Foster 100 by Team Foster – September 9 from 2 to 6 p.m. – Cyclists travel from the Philadelphia area to a finish line and after party at Historic Hangar #1 to support injured and disable veterans by bring together civilians, veterans, and highly trained service dogs. For more info teamfoster.org/event/foster100/
· First Responders & Military Appreciation Day – September 11 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Free admission for First Responders, Active-Duty Military, and Veterans with identification. Enjoy exploring the museum but also receive the chance to win prizes as a thank you.
· Maj. LeRoy W. Homer Jr. Foundation Event & Fundraiser – September 16 from 6 to 10 p.m. – The LeRoy W. Homer Jr. Foundation helps provide scholarships to young aspiring pilots. Inspire future aviators and meet prior scholarship recipients. LeRoy was one of the pilots of United Airlines Flight 93 that was hijacked on September 11th, 2001. For more information, visit leroywhomerjr.org/event/honoring-the-past-inspiring-the-future-2023/
· Southern Jersey Airways Reunion – September 16 from 12 to 4 p.m. – Come meet former Southern Jersey Airways pilots and staff members and hear their stories of the time they operated at Cape May Airport.
· Christmas at the Hangar – November 25 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – A free community event open to all. Enjoy free cookies and hot chocolate and get pictures taken with Santa Clause, enjoy Live Music, Face Painting, and explore a festive Historic Hangar #1.
The museum’s events would not be possible without the support of its many great sponsors. Thank you to Cape May Airport, Sturdy Savings Bank, OceanFirst Foundation, PNC Foundation, Enterprise Holdings Foundation, Averista Marketing Experts, Broadley’s Plumbing, Heating, and Air.
Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum is located inside historic Hangar #1 at the Cape May Airport. The site was formerly Naval Air Station Wildwood, which served as a World War II dive-bomber training center. The museum is dedicated to the 42 airmen who perished while training at Naval Air Station Wildwood between 1943 and 1945. Current museum hours are Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – For more information, visit www.usnasw.org or call (609) 886-8787.