Local Lighthouses and Museums Host Lighthouse Challenge of New Jersey Oct. 20-21
Lighthouses and select museums throughout the state will host the Lighthouse Challenge of New Jersey on Saturday, Oct. 20 and Sunday, Oct. 21.
Challenge yourself to visit each participating lighthouse over the weekend as you tour the state to help raise funds for continued lighthouse preservation.
These majestic beacons have played an important role in New Jersey's history, guarding mariners and protecting our coasts for three centuries. Lighthouses serve as a reminder of American ingenuity while honoring the values of safety and heroism. Visit the lighthouses and museums on the challenge for an opportunity to learn more about state and national maritime history.
Begin the challenge at any of the participating 10 New Jersey land-based lighthouses, two life-saving stations or one museum. New this year: complete a souvenir deck of cards by visiting each site. Hours of operation for each lighthouse can be found at participating lighthouse and museum websites and at www.lhchallengenj.org.
The following lighthouses and museums are participating and invite the public to take advantage of this special weekend to support and preserve the maritime history of New Jersey:
• Absecon Lighthouse (Atlantic City)
• Barnegat Lighthouse (Barnegat)
• Barnegat Lighthouse Historical Museum (Barnegat Light)
• Cape May Lighthouse and Delaware Bay Lights Virtual Tour (Lower Township)
• East Point Light (Heislerville)
• Finn's Point Light (Pennsville)
• Navesink/Twin Lights (Highlands)
• Sandy Hook Lighthouse (Fort Hancock)
• Sea Girt Lighthouse (Sea Girt)
• Tatham Life Saving Station 35 (Stone Harbor)
• Tinicum Light (Paulsboro)
• Tucker's Island Light at Tuckerton Seaport Museum (Tuckerton)
• U.S. Life Saving Station 30 (Ocean City)
Night climbs are available at Absecon, Cape May and Tinicum from 6 to 8 p.m. on Saturday. Food trucks will be available at Absecon, Cape May, Sandy Hook and Tuckerton Seaport. U.S. Lifesaving Station 30 in Ocean City will be open and all renovations are complete. East Point Lighthouse has completed restorations and will be open for climbing. Finn's Point will be open. Hereford Inlet Lighthouse in North Wildwood will not be part of the challenge this year.
Proceeds support the preservation of these sites. For more information, visit www.lighthousechallengenj.org.